Congratulations to Viviette Applewhite! Applewhite, who is 93 and uses a wheelchair, is the lead plaintiff in the challenge to Pennsylvania’s voter ID law finally got her voter ID. You may be unaware of the situation, but the voter ID law now requires voters to show a valid driver’s license or other forms of identification in order to be able to vote. Now, this may not be a big deal to you because you may reside in a state like myself where we’ve always had to show proof of identification in order to vote. However, there are elderly men and women in Pennsylvania who cannot obtain necessary ID because they were born in the Jim Crow South, where states have no records of their births.
Applewhite says she has voted since 1960, when she cast her first presidential ballot for John F. Kennedy. She doesn’t have a driver’s license and since she has been unable to obtain a birth certificate from the state. In May, Applewhite said, she will not meet the law’s requirements and therefore will be barred from voting in the Nov. 6 presidential election. Today, that has changed as she was able to obtain a temporary ID card. A permanent one will be mailed to her within 15 days.
YOUNG WORLD let’s support the ACLU and NAACP in challenging Pennsylvania’s new law so that whether you’re a democrat or republican, we can participate in a fair presidential election.
sorry OP, I bolded the points that stood out the most to me in this piece.
- rgu reblogged this from philipsain
- makmizzle likes this
- lacommunarde reblogged this from montagnarde1793
- foundingfathersfbconvos reblogged this from revwarheart and added:
- foundingfathersfbconvos likes this
- sydneyflapper likes this
- thebutteryslickness likes this
- brightcontainer likes this
- pappreciation reblogged this from commonwealthofpennsylvania
- lajacobine reblogged this from virtual-star-embryology
- lajacobine likes this
- theoriginalfive likes this
- stupidmonopolymoney reblogged this from the42towels
- tuesday-johnson likes this
- virtual-star-embryology reblogged this from montagnarde1793
- pageoharawriter likes this
- things-toconsider reblogged this from revwarheart
- montagnarde1793 reblogged this from revwarheart
- sapientiastulti likes this
- the42towels reblogged this from revwarheart
- revwarheart reblogged this from kosmonaunt
- revwarheart likes this
- kosmonaunt reblogged this from commonwealthofpennsylvania
- commonwealthofpennsylvania reblogged this from philipsain and added:
- philipsain posted this